ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] New Linux server issues

2007-06-06 11:07:10
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] New Linux server issues
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 11:06:11 -0400
Yes, everyone is aware of the issues (I was waiting for the "I told you
so" speech :-))

Still can't justify the cost of AIX servers (and constant
licensing/maintenance costs) vs x86 boxes.  We pay $50 per Linux server
for the software and have site maintenance contracts with RedHat.

On the other hand, if we have genuine hardware/engineering issues (the
Dell techs were suprised at our configuration. Don't seem to be that many
folks buying 5TB x86 boxes), then we have a different issue.

Either way, I have to live with this.

Zoltan Forray
Virginia Commonwealth University
Office of Technology Services
University Computing Center
e-mail: zforray AT vcu DOT edu
voice: 804-828-4807

"Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
06/06/2007 09:26 AM
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject

<zforray AT VCU DOT EDU> said:

> We have been having all kinds of interesting adventures trying to get
our
> new DELL 2900 with 5TB with RHEL 4 (fully patched), [...]

Just out of curiosity, have you put enough work into getting this
flying that your management acknowledges that AIX would have been
cheaper?

- Allen S. Rout