ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Mixing drive types in logical library 3584

2007-06-03 06:27:19
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Mixing drive types in logical library 3584
From: CAYE PIERRE <Pierre.Caye AT ALCATEL-LUCENT DOT FR>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2007 12:26:22 +0200
In fact the problem is that, with tsm, there are no different scratch pools,
with different cartridges type in each.
TSM use all the scratch cartridges equally, whatever type of cartridge it can
be.

Thus, if you mixt LTO drives with one different generation between them (ie
LTO1/LTO2 LTO2/LTO3), you must use cartridges corresponding to the lowest
generation, to be write compatible with both drives type.

If you mixt LTO drives with a gap of TWO generation between them, if you have
scratch cartridges of the lowest type, they will generate hardware errors when
TSM will try to write them with the highest type drives and, on contrary, if
you have scratch of the highest type, they will generate hardware error when
writen with the lowest type drives.

This will happend if you have mixed drives on the same library.
If the library is partitioned, it is like if you had two library, each one with
a specific drive type and, of course, the relative cartridges, so there can be
no problems.
It is the same if you use library sharing manager software like ACSLS (and/or
LS), which can manage different drives and different scratch pools.

Consequence are that, if you wish to upgrade your drives, be careful about the
gap between drives generation.
And think strongly about mixing different drive types.

An other point, if upgrading all the drives on shot, if the gap one generation
max (ie LTO1/LTO3), you can still read cartdridges of the old generation, but
be carefull to make them read only to avoid hardware problems, even for read
access.
I mean, when a cartrdige is accessed for reading, if it is not in read only
access, the drive ensure that it can write on it resulting with hardware
errors, but if the cartrdige is in read only access, the drive read it
peacefully, without any problems.

Thanks,

Pierre