ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] TSM Incremental Database backups never expire

2007-05-29 10:58:14
Subject: [ADSM-L] TSM Incremental Database backups never expire
From: "Schneider, John" <schnjd AT STLO.MERCY DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 09:57:29 -0500
Greetings,
        I have just started doing incremental TSM database backups to a
TSM Filesystem devclass.  This has worked very well on some of our more
active TSM servers, where the log would grow so fast that a single full
TSM database backup performed daily was not sufficient.  We don't always
have enough tape drives or scratch tapes available to do extra full TSM
database backups in the middle of the night just because the log is
grown too big.
        So we set up a filesystem devclass, and pointed the TSM database
backup trigger to do it's incremental backups to the filesystem.  This
has solved the problem with the log filling up.  But now the filesytems
are filling up!  We have DBBACKUPEXPIREDAYS set to 5, so the full TSM
dbbackups expire in 5 days, but apparently nothing comes along and
deletes the old incremental DB files that get created by the incremental
backups.  I guess I just assumed they would expire when the full
database backups expired.  From the Admin Reference apparently they
aren't expiring because they aren't in the VAULT status?
        If I issued 'set drmfileprocess yes', that could cause our "move
drmedia" commands to include the file device class files, but that
doesn't sound like a good idea, since the files can't actually be
checked out.  The manual isn't very clear on what happens in this case.
        Am I missing something in how to set this up?

Best Regards,

John D. Schneider
Sr. System Administrator - Storage
Sisters of Mercy Health System
3637 South Geyer Road
St. Louis, MO.  63127
Email:  schnjd AT stlo.mercy DOT net
Office: 314-364-3150, Cell:  314-486-2359