ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Point in time restore problem

2007-05-23 09:23:03
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Point in time restore problem
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 09:22:06 -0400
On May 22, 2007, at 10:24 PM, Paul Dudley wrote:

We perform incremental backups each night and occasional archive
backups
on our mail server (which is linux OS)

I am currently performing a point in time restore via the GUI for an
account on that mail server. The point in time is last Friday morning.
However the restore seems to be restoring everything that was ever
backed up in that account.

At the time the account was 500 Mb in size - I am restoring this
account
to another location on the server and so far it has restored 1.8 Gb of
data.

Why is this happening?

Why is it restoring files that were deleted or moved months ago?

Paul -

That manifestation is documented in the Admin Guide, under "How IBM
Tivoli Storage Manager Selects Files for Policy Operations":
"Incremental
Backup", where that can happen if an unqualified Incremental backup
is not done often enough for a file system.  Point-in-time restorals
can be "interesting".

  Richard Sims