ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Server migration

2007-05-16 20:57:46
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Server migration
From: Steven Harris <steve AT STEVENHARRIS DOT INFO>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 10:56:58 +1000
Debbie,

I'd suggest that you move the existing TSM Server  holus-bolus to the
new machine if you can ,  as Larry has described, and  then do the split.

The reason is that server-to-server export  between TSM Servers on the
same machine will be many times more efficient than  across an external
network.

There is no escaping it - the server to server move of each node will
require a copy from tape to server1 / across to server 2/ back on to
tape.  The only other option is to just start backing up the nodes to
the new server and at some point delete them from the old.  There are
lots of posts on this topic in the archives.

Regards

Steve
Steven Harris
AIX and TSM Admin Brisbane Australia
Moving to Sydney soon and Still no job offers

Lawrence Clark wrote:
The current status of everything is kept in the database and some config
files:
/usr/tivoli/tsm/server/bin/dsmserv.opt        \
/home/root/tsmfiles/devconfig.info      \
/home/root/tsmfiles/volhistory.info"

So if the data is all on cartridge when you migrate and you create disk
based storage pools and db vols on the target side that match the
source, and move those config fies to equivalent places, you should be
able to backup the db on one side, restore on the other. Have to move
the tape library over. And I'm talking TSM on AIX.

HABERDE AT VOUGHTAIRCRAFT DOT COM 05/16/07 3:35 PM >>>

I am looking at different options to migrate data from our current
server, version 5.3.3 to a second TSM server, 5.3.5.  Actually the new
server will have 2 instances of TSM running and I will need to divide
the clients between the 2, the old one will be retired.  I have several
different paths that I can follow and am trying to get a little more
detailed information so I know we can decide on which method to use.

If I want to migrate server-to-server does the data go into the disk
storage pool for the node first and then copy off to tape?
I am using the same library and tapes for the new server that the
current server uses, will the new server keep the tapes I already have
for the node or will it write new ones?

I know there is a lot more to this, I'm just trying to find out how
some of the processes work.

Debbie Haberstroh
Server Administration
Northrop Grumman Information Technology
Commercial, State & Local (CSL)
972-946-5639

contain information that is confidential, privileged, and/or otherwise exempt
from disclosure under applicable law.  If this electronic message is from an
attorney or someone in the Legal Department, it may also contain confidential
attorney-client communications which may be privileged and protected from
disclosure.  If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have
received this message in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding,
printing, or copying is strictly prohibited.  Please notify the New York State
Thruway Authority immediately by either responding to this e-mail or calling
(518) 436-2700, and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments.