ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] lingering copypool copies?

2007-05-16 11:51:19
Subject: [ADSM-L] lingering copypool copies?
From: Dave Mussulman <mussulma AT UIUC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 10:50:42 -0500
Hello list,

Is there a best practice for moving nodes between domains, when the
domains have different storage pools, copy pools, management classes,
etc.?  I noticed when I changed nodes to the new domain, the new
management classes and rebinding occurred (which is fine,) but any data
stored in the previous storage groups still remains, along with its
copypool copies.  I didn't really expect pre-existing data to magically
migrate, and since I was taking the old domain's primary disk
storage pool out of service anyway, I did a 'move data' for those old
disk volumes to a different tape pool, and then removed the disk
volumes.

I expected that the next expire inventory would remove the copies for
the files no longer in the stgpool they were copied from (or even that
the stgpool no longer existed,) but that didn't happen.  (I guess the
copies are tied to the file without any regard for the stgpool they
are/were in.)  The new domain doesn't have any copypools configured, and
I'd like to free those copy tapes up.  How do I do that?

Dave