ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Moving the TSM configuration manager

2007-05-14 20:27:39
Subject: [ADSM-L] Moving the TSM configuration manager
From: Stuart Lamble <adsm AT CAROUSEL.ITS.MONASH.EDU DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 10:30:09 +1000
A bit of background: to keep the database size down, we have several
TSM instances. One of these instances acts as a configuration
manager; the others are all configuration clients (so to speak).

For various reasons, we intend to create a new TSM instance dedicated
solely to library management and configuration management - no TSM
clients will backup directly to that instance. The major stumbling
block I'm having right now is with policy domains; such a change means:

  * Copying policy domains to temporary PDs.
  * Moving clients from their current PDs to the temporary PDs.
  * Re-directing the configuration subscription to the new TSM
instance.
  * Moving clients from the temporary PDs back to the permanent PDs.

I'm aware of the implications this has for scheduling, and am not too
concerned about it (just recreate the schedules, and all will be
happy). I'm more concerned about data retention - given that the
policy domains will have the same management classes, etc., after the
cutover, will it affect retention in any way? I'm especially
concerned about archived data; backup data will rebind as desired
with the next backup if there's any difference, so I doubt that will
be an issue.

The documentation is not as clear on this matter as I would like. Any
and all assistance would be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Stuart.