ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] 8 char volser in 3584

2007-05-02 19:51:56
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] 8 char volser in 3584
From: David E Ehresman <deehre01 AT LOUISVILLE DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 19:45:14 -0400
No data on these tapes.  They are scratch 3592s.  They were in the 3584 as six
characters.  I checked them out, remove=no, to leave them unclaimed in the
3584.  I then switched the 3584 to 8 characters and checked them back in to tsm
as scratch tapes.  tsm still sees them as 6 characters.  Do I have to
physically removed them from the library, reinventory to get rid of the 6
characters, then reinsert them to pick up the 8 characters?

David

>>> David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG> 05/02/07 4:18 PM >>>
I think what you are trying to do can't be done.

You had a 3584 (or other LTO library) and were using 6 char volsers.

Then you got new 3584 and set for 8 char.  You checked tapes out of
old library and checked into new.  TSM still sees as 6 char.

Is that what you are saying?

If so, can't do.  You cannot change a tape from 6 char to
8 char volser.  TSM sees as new tape.  There is no
"RENAME VOL" command.  You have to keep old tapes as 6 char.  New tapes
can be 8 char.  Works best if o,ld tapes are say LTO1 or 2 and new
 tapes are LTO3, for instance.

I have mixed in my library.  LTO1 and 2 tapes are 6 char(that's how I setup
5 hyears ago.  New LTO3 tapes are 8 char.  ON AIX Platform there is
a "smit" option, in Devices, Tape drive for The 3584 Medium Changer
to set 6/8 char for LTO1 & 2 tapes only.  The 3584 itself can be set to 8 char
and TSM will recognize 6 char only for LTO1 & 2 - and 8 char for LTO3 - up.

I suspect this is what you have and is no problem.

Again, you cna't change 6/8 char for a tape after it has data as TSM can't
rename vols.

David B. Longo
System Administrator
Health First, Inc.
3300 Fiske Blvd.
Rockledge, FL 32955-4305
PH      321.434.5536
Pager  321.634.8230
Fax:    321.434.5509
david.longo AT health-first DOT org

>>> David E Ehresman <deehre01 AT LOUISVILLE DOT EDU> 5/2/2007 3:12 PM >>>
I'm setting up a new 3584.  I had 6 char volsers enabled and volumes checked
into my test tsm.  I checked all volumes out from my test tsm, enabled 8 char
volsers, and checked tapes back in.  When I do a "q libvol" I still seeing 6
char volsers not 8 char.  What did I miss?

David