ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Contents of Copy Storage Pool (Puzzle)

2007-03-29 11:25:54
Subject: [ADSM-L] Contents of Copy Storage Pool (Puzzle)
From: Rainer Schöpf <rainer.schoepf AT PROTEOSYS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 17:25:18 +0200
Richard Sims mentioned the Select under the heading "Copy Storage Pool
up to date?" in ADSM.QuickFacts.

Very useful, thank you.

I tried it (immediately after running backup stgpool) and got

 -14

So, I've got 14 files in my copy storage pool that are not in the primary
pools.

Some Select commands later, I have now a list of these 14 files. Checking
the client I see that
 a) they are still on disk,
 b) dsmc q backup tells me they are backup up,
 c) if I try to access them with dsmc restore the server wants to mount a
    tape from the copy storage pool.

My first idea was to run a "restore stgpool <name> preview=yes" for all
relevant primary storage pools. All these processes end with

 Files restored: 0, Bytes restored: 0

Any advice on what I should do now? I can think of several things to try,
namely:

 - Delete the copy pool volume where the extra files reside, in the hope
   that the 14 files will be backed up in the next incremental backup. I
   hesitate to do this.

 - Run "dsmc selective" on those files.

 - Open a call with TSM support. I had a database consistency problem
   a few days after the files in question were backup up. It was resolved
   by TSM support then.

Server Version 5.3.2.0 running on Windows Server 2003 SP1

Thanks in advance
  Rainer Schöpf

ProteoSys AG
Carl-Zeiss-Straße 51
55129 Mainz

Dr. Rainer Schöpf
Leiter Software/Softwareentwicklung

Mail:   rainer.schoepf AT proteosys DOT com
Phone:  +49-(0)6131-50192-41
Fax:    +49-(0)6131-50192-11
WWW:    http://www.proteosys.com/
ProteoSys AG - Carl-Zeiss-Str. 51 - D-55129 Mainz
Amtsgericht Mainz HRB 7508 - USt.-Id Nr.: DE213940570
Vorstand: Helmut Matthies (Vorsitzender), Prof. Dr. André Schrattenholz
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Dr. Werner Zöllner