ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] ISC and Tivoli Storage Administration Center Passwords

2007-03-22 15:13:23
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] ISC and Tivoli Storage Administration Center Passwords
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 15:13:02 -0400
>> On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 17:09:21 -0700, Robert Clark <Robert_Clark AT MAC DOT
>> COM> said:

> So when they call and ask us to restore the LDAP server, I can say
> "I can't login, cause the LDAP server is down.".

I think you're confusing the tail and the dog.  If you're in a site
emergency like that, you can stand a momentary outage to permit
SERVER_CONSOLE to update RCLARK to use native authentication.

If you're in normal operations, having IDs and passwords consistent
across services saves many many people much time and confusion.  Far
from the least of these is the time and effort of the TSM
administrator who has to do a lot of commo to reset passwords for
rarely-accessd IDs which are out of sync with single signon.

- Allen S. Rout
- Wag, wag, woof.