ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] TDPO and encryption

2007-03-22 05:24:56
Subject: [ADSM-L] TDPO and encryption
From: Hans Christian Riksheim <HCR AT STERIA DOT NO>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 10:24:32 +0100
Hi,

does anyone have any experience with rman/tdpo and encryption?

I have not found any detailed information on how to implement it and the
redbook from 2001(Backing up Oracle using TSM) does not mention it.

I have learned that there are two ways of doing it:

Client handles encryption through the API. Here I have not seen how to
set this up with RMAN.

API handles it transparently and stores the key on the TSM-server. I
haven't fully understood the security implications of this method. I
don't understand how this method can be as secure as for example
BA-encryption where the key is held by the administrator of the client.

Anyway, any tip on how to do it or pointers to information is much
appreciated.

Best regards

Hans Chr. Riksheim

originates from Steria AS, Biskop Gunnerus' gate 14a, N-0051 OSLO,
http://www.steria.no. This email and any attachments may contain
confidential/intellectual property/copyright information and is only for the
use of the addressee(s). You are prohibited from copying, forwarding,
disclosing, saving or otherwise using it in any way if you are not the
addressee(s) or responsible for delivery. If you receive this email by mistake,
please advise the sender and cancel it immediately. Steria may monitor the
content of emails within its network to ensure compliance with its policies and
procedures. Any email is susceptible to alteration and its integrity cannot be
assured. Steria shall not be liable if the message is altered, modified,