ADSM-L

Re: Backing up full primary stgpool

2007-03-15 12:51:44
Subject: Re: Backing up full primary stgpool
From: CRAIG TEMBY <STEMBY AT HANOVER DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 12:35:35 -0400
I don't believe that I should be a recipient of these emails.

Craig Temby

Keane, Inc.
Howell, MI
517-540-4141

This e-mail, including attachments, is intended for the exclusive use
of the addressee and may contain proprietary, confidential or privileged
information.  If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination,
use, distribution or copying is strictly prohibited.  If you have
received this e-mail in error, please notify me via return e-mail and
permanently delete the original and destroy all copies.

>>> Richard.Mochnaczewski AT STANDARDLIFE DOT CA 03/15/07 11:20 AM >>>
Let's say that we have a disk storage pool called PRD_DISK. Every night
backups run and we run a backup stgpool command for our offsite copies
to a tapepool called PRD_DR and then we initiate a migration of data
from PRD_DISK to onsite tapepool called PRD_TAPE.

When you run a backup stgpool of PRD_DISK to PRD_DR you are only
backing up the incremental and not the whole storage pool ( by whole ,
the equivalent data of what is being cached ). If , for instance, we are
running Oracle incremental backups of a database where we run a full
cold backup which is 420 Gb to the storage pool PRD_DISK  on a Friday
and then the next few days I run an incremental, come Wednesday, if I
run a backup stgpool again I will only get the latest incremental data
restored when I do a restore stgpool. What it comes time to restore such
a database, in the past becasue we were running daily hot backups of the
database. At a DR test we would be give the DR test date and do a
restore stgpool of PRD_DISK which would contain the complete database on
disk. Then, the DBA could launch as many threads as they need to restore
the database quickly rather than having to go to tape and hogging
several tape drives to get the databse restored when we go the
incremental route.

Rich