ADSM-L

Re: volume history file

2007-03-08 12:14:20
Subject: Re: volume history file
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 12:13:58 -0500
You don't need to keep the STGNEW, STGREUSE, STGDELETE records any
longer than your oldest DBBACKUP - and even the recent ones are only
useful in very arcane cases for documentation if you have to do a
DBRESTORE and subsequent audits.  TSM doesn't need or use the STGNEW,
STGREUSE, or STGDELETE records for anything, even if the tapes described
by them are still in a stgpool.

As Mark said, set up an admin schedule or script that runs daily or
weekly to purge them.

I personally don't recommend doing a delete TYPE=ALL, however.
If somebody creates a BACKUPSET or EXPORT tape, those will get zapped by
a DELETE VOLHIST TYPE=ALL as well.
So I prefer doing the automated DELETE VOLHIST for exactly the things I
know for sure I want deleted.

Wanda Prather
"I/O, I/O, It's all about I/O"  -(me)