ADSM-L

AIX 4.3.3 client out of memory

2007-03-01 10:32:53
Subject: AIX 4.3.3 client out of memory
From: David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 10:29:34 -0500
I have an old AIX 4.3.3 system with TSM client 5.1.5.0, connecting
 to TSM 5.3.4.0 server.  This client has a single filesystem with
over 12 million files!  Has been backing up for a log time  and this
filesystem is slowly growing.  Several months ago backup started
failing with message:
ANS1030E System ran out of memory. Process ended.

It had 1 GB  RAM at the time.  (I have another near identical
system with just under 12 million files and stable and 3 GB RAM
and it is still working.  I suspect my failing system is up to 13-14
million files by now.  I think started failing just over 12 million.

So, I upped the failing system to 5 GB RAM and still have same
problem.  I upgraded to latest (as far as I could see) tsm 5.1 client
5.1.7.7 and still have failure.  My ulimit for memory and stack
are "unlimited".

When I watch the session from the TSM server, it seems to fail
about the point when server "Bytes sent" is around  2.5 GB.

No, I can't break up this filesystem by any means.

What do you suggest?

Thanks,

David B. Longo
System Administrator