ADSM-L

Non-HSM filesystems inside an HSM filesystem?

2007-02-12 21:27:27
Subject: Non-HSM filesystems inside an HSM filesystem?
From: Anker Lerret <ADSM-L AT LERRET DOT US>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 21:26:57 -0500
I have another test for the HSM wisdom of the list.  I mentioned that
we're preparing to move an HSM-enabled filesystem from one TSM client to
another.  The filesystem in question has a couple of directories inside it
that aren't HSM-appropriate.  My users have suggested that when we build
the HSM filesystem on the new server, we create a couple of non-HSM
filesystems within the HSM filesystem.  It will look something like this:

/HSMfilesystem                          <- HSM filesystem
/HSMfilesystem/NotAnHSMfilesystem       <- Non-HSM filesystem
/HSMfilesystem/AnotherNonHSMfilesystem  <- Non-HSM filesystem

This setup gives me the heebie-jeebies.  Am I just being superstitious?
Does anyone do this in production?

anker