ADSM-L

Re: Tape drive zones for FC drives - best practices

2007-02-08 13:28:56
Subject: Re: Tape drive zones for FC drives - best practices
From: Richard Rhodes <rrhodes AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 13:27:56 -0500
We also define one zone per host hba with all tape drives.  Actually, since
we have multiple libraries, I do a separate zone for each hba+lib
combination.  Yes, I've read and been told that a zone  should only contain
one hba/device (tape drive, array adapter port).

fyi:  A very long time ago on our very first san (3 servers and a IBM shark
array) we didn't use zoning (didn't now any better!!!!).  All hosts saw all
the IBM Shark adapters.  We relied on lun masking so each host could see
only the proper luns.  We didn't understand that each hba would check out
every other hba.  When we had a san error it would register on all the
attached servers.  Needless to say, we learned about zoning and started
using it!!!

             "Kauffman, Tom"
             <KauffmanT@NIBCO.
             Sent by: "ADSM:           ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
             Dist Stor                                                  cc
             Manager"
             <[email protected]                                     Subject
             .EDU>                     Re: Tape drive zones for FC drives
                                       - best practices

             02/08/2007 10:39
             AM

             Please respond to
             "ADSM: Dist Stor
                 Manager"
             <[email protected]
                   .EDU>

My TSM server has six HBAs for tape use and my 3584 has 16 tape drives.
These are configured as 8 tape drives and 3 HBAs each on two switches.
This gives me 11 aliases per switch. I have just three zones in each
switch, one for each HBA. All eight tape drives are defined to each
zone. I've been configured this way for 5 years and have yet to see a
problem.

My aliases are a bit simple-minded -- tape_01 through tape_16 for the
tape drives, and things like 'columbia_1_2' for the tsm server (host
name columbia, I/O drawer 1, PCI slot 2). The zone names I use are based
on the HBA alias, so that would be zn_columbia_12 (and no, I don't know
what I'll do if I ever get a system with more than 9 I/O drawers :-).

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc