ADSM-L

how many volumes per disk storagepool?

2007-02-02 15:18:19
Subject: how many volumes per disk storagepool?
From: Dean Winger <dwinger AT EDUCATION.WISC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 14:01:37 -0600
Help Please

It's been awhile since I have setup a TSM server for Windows (Tivoli Storage
Manager Enterprise Addition 5.4). I am trying to find out what the optimum
number of volumes I should define for each primary disk storage pool.

I have a disk array that I broke into 3 Raid 5 groups; one group for Daily
backups, one for SQL backups, and one for Archives.  I also have a Raid 1 group
defined for my DB backups and Log files.

The Raid 5 groups consist of three 300GB SAS drives each.  What size and how
many volumes should I create for each Raid 5 group?

For the DB and Log files I have a 270GB Raid 1 group.  My database is currently
around 40GB. What size should I make the DB and Log pools, and how many volumes
should each have?

Thanks so much

Dean