ADSM-L

Re: export node toserver= , slow.. on AIX

2007-02-02 13:43:36
Subject: Re: export node toserver= , slow.. on AIX
From: Mark Stapleton <mark.s AT EVOLVINGSOL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 12:43:18 -0600
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On Behalf Of
Tom Tann{s
>both tsm-servers, 5.3.4, running on the same P650, AIX5.3-box.
>
>Shared memory is used (lo0), but performance is useless. (about
140KB/sek
>on
>average, 70KB in, 70KB out)
>
>This used to work fine on our old S7A, the numbers where usually
100MB/s
>and up.
>
>Has anyone running TSM on AIX seen similar behavior?

This is not an AIX issue. TSM's export node command, when you use it to
move actual client data, has been glacially slow since day one on all OS
platforms and all network configurations.

Per the architects the export function is a very low priority item, so
little work appears to have been done to fix it.

The next best thing to do is run EXPORT NODE with no client data
movement, point the node's new backups at the new server, and let a few
months of expiration thin out the node's data on the old server. Then
just ditch the node's filespaces on the old server.

--
Mark Stapleton (mark.s AT evolvingsol DOT com)
Senior consultant