ADSM-L

Re: tsm disk volumes for db and log <Virus checked>

2007-01-12 16:00:52
Subject: Re: tsm disk volumes for db and log <Virus checked>
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 15:59:43 -0500
>> On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 07:39:08 +0100, Dierk Harbort <Dierk.Harbort AT BUERGEL
>> DOT DE> said:

> I am working on a new design of our tsm environment - a lot of changes in
> sight this year. So here a litte question to check my ideas for the new
> design:

> IBM support told me, that it would be the best to have not more than about
> 6-8 diskvolumes for the tsm database, due to the recovery mode on tsm
> server start.

> Do you agree? Are there any recommendations like this for the tsm
> logvolumes?  I am thinking about 8x 6145MB dbvolumes and 8x 4097MB
> logvolumes.

> Or any other things to consider?

There's extensive art on this in the archives.  The nutshell is: Try
to avoid contention on spindles or database threads.  If you're using
modern disk with a cache in front of it, spindles are unlikely to be
too big a problem.  Multiple volumes then permit multiple worker
threads to work.

- Allen S. Rout