ADSM-L

Re: Win-DFS and Backup

2007-01-12 13:54:29
Subject: Re: Win-DFS and Backup
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 11:54:39 -0700
Hi Chris,

This is described in APAR IC50148 (searchable on the web by doing a search
from the link in my sig).

The workaround is to shut down the DFS replicator service before starting
the scheduler (you can't use PRESCHEDULECMD for this), then run the
backup; after the backup completes, you can restart DFS (for this you CAN
use POSTSCHEDULECMD).

One method to accomplish this would be:

1. You need to use the CAD to manage the scheduler.

2. Define a schedule on the TSM server to execute a batch script that
shuts down the DFS service. This schedule should run at the same time or
before the scheduled backup. Give that schedule a high priority so it runs
FIRST. For example, if you define this schedule and the backup to run at
20:00, but give the batch script schedule a higher priority, it will run
first. Then the backup will run, and you can configure a POSTSCHEDULECMD
operation to restart DFS.

The good news is that after the APAR was initially closed, further
investigation yielded that we could fix it in the defect stream.
Availability is currently targeted for end of this month or early next
(subject to change at our discretion).

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

http://www.ibm.com/software/sysmgmt/products/support/IBMTivoliStorageManager.html

The command line is your friend.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 01/12/2007
06:49:54 AM:

> Hi all,
>
> Just having problems backing up my Win2003 Server (TSM-Client 5.3.4.0,
> TSM-Server 5.2.4.3) :
>
> First on this Server was DFS-Service started and the DFS-Replication
Service
> (only local volumes).
> While running normal incremental backup, all files in that replicated
area
> were expired !!
> Looking on servers include/exclude list ( dsmc q inclexcl ), I see that
those
> areas are excluded by operating system (source file).
>    --> "Exclude all   d:\user\...\*      Operating System"
>
> First question : Does the operating system mark those files as system
files
> or where does tsm get that information from ??
> Second question : Is there a possibility to remove that
exclude-statement or