ADSM-L

Re: Does Client Acceptor Daemon improve the reliability of Windows ba ckups

2007-01-10 12:05:33
Subject: Re: Does Client Acceptor Daemon improve the reliability of Windows ba ckups
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 12:04:30 -0500
Something even simpler:

If the scheduler service is dying (as opposed to hanging), just change
the Windows properties of the scheduler service (on the properties
RECOVERY tab) so that if the service dies, Windows restarts it once
automatically.  I found that to be quite effective for Windows at the
5.1 and 5.2 client, where the scheduler would just keel over about once
a month per client, on average.  That strategy works fine, avoids a lot
of the missed schedules.

And FWIW, in my experience, the scheduler process dies much less often
at 5.3.2 and above  (fewer memory leaks than in 5.1 and 5.2).
And you need to get to 5.3 anyway - 5.1 is already unsupported, and 5.2
support goes away as of Mar. 31.  And you should be running 5.3 anyway
to get good System State backups of your Win2K3 machines.

So if I had to choose where to put effort, I would focus first on
changing the Recovery properties, and getting the client upgraded, as
being more important than converting to prompted and implementing CAD.

Maybe do those things first, then convert first to CAD any machines that
run multiple schedulers or are repeat offenders.
But YMMV.

Wanda Prather
"I/O, I/O, It's all about I/O"  -(me)