ADSM-L

Re: Cross system restore problems

2007-01-09 18:48:06
Subject: Re: Cross system restore problems
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 13:48:13 -0700
* The ANS1946W messages occur because a file whose real name is in that
xxxxx~n.zzz format is trying to be restored, and either another file by
that same name already exists, or a long file name has a short name that
matches that format. If you are restoring to an empty location, you might
try disabling NTFS 8.3 name generation, rebooting, then retrying the
restore. This will suppress generation of short names, and hence those
files should restore. I cannot say whether this is viable for your needs,
but there it is.

For future, consider the ENABLE8DOT3NAMESUPPORT client option if retention
of 8.3 names is important (this must be enabled for backup in order for
the restore to work). You are probably familiar with this already, but I
mention it for completeness.

* The ANS4039E messages suggest corrupted data coming from the server, and
the unnumbered message that precedes each ANS4039E message is related to
that ANS4039E message. I hear you about the unnumbered messages, I would
like to see them go...

* The HlClose() messages indicate an issue with setting security info
(relatively self-explanatory, even if unnumbered). The return code 260
seems related as well, though we'd need to dig deeper to understand what
is going on. If restoring the original security attributes is not
critical, you can try using SKIPNTPERMISSIONS YES for the restore.

You've probably got at least 2 separate issues here (the ANS4039E and the
HlClose messages) that need further investigation. Consider contacting
support with these, and (if you want) tell them that I said these need to
be expedited to Level 2. While 5.1 is no longer supported, it is a design
point that TSM be able to restore files backed up with older client
versions (supported or not). I would think that the HlClose's could be
converted to documented warning (ANSnnnnW) messages, but we also need to
understand the other one about the RC 260. Note that this is just
conjecture on my point, and is not a final diagnosis.

* Questions:

- Is this truly a "cross system restore" issue? What I mean is, can that
same data be restored successfully using 5.1.7.0 on Windows NT 4.0?

- Does the client just stop, or does it crash?

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

http://www.ibm.com/software/sysmgmt/products/support/IBMTivoliStorageManager.html

The command line is your friend.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 01/08/2007
02:39:41 PM: