ADSM-L

Re: Performance with move data and LTO3

2007-01-09 14:28:10
Subject: Re: Performance with move data and LTO3
From: Robin Sharpe <Robin_Sharpe AT BERLEX DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 11:17:37 -0500
Henrik,

That's very interesting, and it looks like you're getting pretty good
throughput overall.  I wonder though, about tape 360024 on the Windows
machine... it got much better throughput than any of the others on either
machine.  Do you think that was because of better compression on that
volume?

Regards,
Robin Sharpe
Berlex Labs

             Henrik Wahlstedt
             <SHWL AT STATOIL DOT COM
             Sent by: "ADSM:           ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
             Dist Stor                                                  cc
             Manager"
             <[email protected]                                     Subject
             .EDU>                     Re: Performance with move data and
                                       LTO3

             01/09/2007 10:26
             AM

             Please respond to
             "ADSM: Dist Stor
                 Manager"
             <[email protected]
                   .EDU>

Hello,

A late answer about LTO3 performance, but for the records. Origal post is
below.
I used 'audit vol volume_name skippartial=y fix=n' and 'move data
volume_name reconstr=no'.

Since the tape drives are not connected to a switch I used the information
and timing from actlog when the tape is opened as an input volume and when
the processing is done. Maybe not the best way but it will give me a clue
about the performance.

With IBM drives on Windows:

select volume_name, est_capacity_mb, pct_utilized, pct_reclaim from volumes
where volume_name='360023'
VOLUME_NAME                 EST_CAPACITY_MB     PCT_UTILIZED
PCT_RECLAIM
------------------     --------------------     ------------
-----------
360023                             762938.0             34.2
0.0

select volume_name, est_capacity_mb, pct_utilized, pct_reclaim from volumes
where volume_name='360024'

VOLUME_NAME                 EST_CAPACITY_MB     PCT_UTILIZED
PCT_RECLAIM
------------------     --------------------     ------------
-----------
360024                             762938.0             49.6
0.0

select volume_name, est_capacity_mb, pct_utilized, pct_reclaim from volumes
where volume_name='360125'

VOLUME_NAME                 EST_CAPACITY_MB     PCT_UTILIZED
PCT_RECLAIM
------------------     --------------------     ------------
-----------
360125                             762938.0             45.6
0.0

360023
Audit:       196306 items / 33m04sec
Move data:   196306 items / 273,902,675,481 bytes / 65m22sec ~69,84Mb/s

360024
Audit:       93202 items / 41m57sec
Move data:   93202 items / 397,207,010,912 bytes / 53m29sec ~123,8Mb/s

360125
Audit:       21470 items / 71m02sec
Move data:   21470 items / 369,229,158,737 bytes / 104m28sec ~58,9Mb/s

With HP drives on Linux:

select volume_name, est_capacity_mb, pct_utilized, pct_reclaim from volumes
where volume_name='350075'
VOLUME_NAME                 EST_CAPACITY_MB     PCT_UTILIZED
PCT_RECLAIM
------------------     --------------------     ------------
-----------
350075                             409600.0             41.6
0.0

select volume_name, est_capacity_mb, pct_utilized, pct_reclaim from volumes
where volume_name='350204'

VOLUME_NAME                 EST_CAPACITY_MB     PCT_UTILIZED
PCT_RECLAIM
------------------     --------------------     ------------
-----------
350204                             441710.3             68.9
31.1

select volume_name, est_capacity_mb, pct_utilized, pct_reclaim from volumes
where volume_name='350257'

VOLUME_NAME                 EST_CAPACITY_MB     PCT_UTILIZED
PCT_RECLAIM
------------------     --------------------     ------------
-----------
350257                             463674.8             49.5
50.6

350075
Audit:       705210 items / 38m30sec
Move Data:   705210 items / 179,065,879,072 bytes / 36m48sec ~81,1Mb/s

350204
Audit:       36603 items / 71m35sec
Move Data:   36603 items / 319,319,489,218 bytes / 75m11sec ~70,79mb/s

350257
Audit:       95345 items / 54m06sec
Move Data:   95345 items / 240,739,702,948 bytes / 46m26sec ~86,4Mb/s

I guess Wanda is right about the buffer usage on Windows when performing a
Move data. Audit seems OK. One thing is
for sure, as always, backup stgpool will be disk to tape...
On the other end I´m curious about the Linux system that performs Move data
faster than Audit. And have less variance in speed than the Windowsbox.

However my main interest was performance of LTO drives and (HP vs IBM
drives). I guess our Linux box will
outperform the Windows box with adequate hardware.

//Henrik