ADSM-L

Re: ANR8779E Unable to open drive /dev/rmt1, error number=46.

2006-12-22 07:16:35
Subject: Re: ANR8779E Unable to open drive /dev/rmt1, error number=46.
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 07:15:20 -0500
On Dec 22, 2006, at 6:15 AM, Wojciech Zukowski wrote:

Hi,
I'm running AIX 5.2 and TSM Server Version 5, Release 1, Level 9.3
Yesterday we moved library nad server to new location,
and it stopped to work.
I cannot access tapes.
Picker gets tape, put in into drive and thats all.

After major disruption to a hardware device, it really needs a full
checkout at the operating system level before once again giving it to
an application to use: immediately putting it under TSM control after
moving it is not a good idea.

tapeutil shows "Operation failed with errno 46: Device not ready"

You need to pursue that, at each device that produces that error.  I
would manually insert a tape into a problem drive and observe what
the drive does and what it displays.  During all the handling, it
could easily be the case that library and/or drive settings got
changed.  I would also verify that the (Atape) device driver now
being used is comparable to what was used before, when the library
was fully functional.  Verify element addresses from your prior
records, and the TSM Supported Devices page which is appropriate to
your library and drive models (there are also Technotes to assist).
Once the problems are resolved at the OS level, you can perform TSM
queries, and SHOW LIBrary, to verify configuration.

   Richard Sims