ADSM-L

Re: TSM Server Migration

2006-12-11 19:39:34
Subject: Re: TSM Server Migration
From: John Monahan <JMonahan AT COMPURES DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 18:36:09 -0600
"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 12/11/2006
06:11:52 PM:

> Hi all,
>
> I am wondering if there are any issues folks can inform me as it relates
> to a migration of TSM to a new server. The one main question I have is
> this. If I attach the 3584 and LTO2 drives to a new server, install TSM
> at the same level currently and define the library and one drive, will
> TSM will automatically mount the tape I ask to be restored or do I need
> to manually insert the tape?
>

> Any other recommendations or issues I should be aware of?

First you should have the library and drives attached and recognized
properly by AIX before attempting anything related to TSM on the new
server.  When you restore the TSM DB on the new server, the existing tape
library and drive definitions will be restored as well.  The only thing
you may need to do is update your paths if the tape/library device names
are different on the new server.  You should see all the tapes and TSM
will mount them as needed.  When you say define the library and one drive,
are you talking about before you restore the TSM DB?  I would use a file
devclass to backup/restore the TSM DB if you have enough disk, otherwise
you can transfer your old volhist and devconfig file over from the
existing server (and possibly edit/update it) since that is what is used
when restoring the TSM DB.

I would suggest you use this as an opportunity to practice DR of your TSM
server.  That is essentially what you are doing anyway.

You may want to read this: