ADSM-L

Re: SV: Will TSM ever support BMR for windows systems?

2006-12-11 14:18:34
Subject: Re: SV: Will TSM ever support BMR for windows systems?
From: Mark Stapleton <mark.s AT EVOLVINGSOL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 13:15:53 -0600
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On Behalf Of
Christian Svensson
>Don't forget that you also need to have a unique FLOPPY involved for
each
>server. How many wants to manage x hundreds of floppies?

This is incorrect. No floppies are involved in my BMR processes for
Windows. (Floppies are generally required for ASR-based BMR processes;
unfortunately, ASR restores also require other conditions that do not
scale well, or are not available in many server rooms.)

>Mark, how can you make dissimilar hardware with your PE CD?
>When you restore the full OS image/backup to your new hardware. How do
you
>change the registry and adding the new drivers? Are you boot up the
Windows
>CD again and then let it repair your server?

I don't worry with dissimilar hardware issues within the Windows PE (or
Bart PE) CDs. You can manipulate dissimilar hardware issues with
judicious use of hal.dll and ntoskrnl manipulation.

>Do you know how much changes it does with your Windows Server? Have you
let
>Security division look at your machine after that?

The machines almost always come back exactly the way they were built
(including the SID, I believe).

Christian, I do wish you'd be more forthcoming about the fact that
Christie, the company that makes the BMR application you often
recommend, is your employer.

--
Mark Stapleton (mark.s AT evolvingsol DOT com)
Senior TSM consultant