ADSM-L

Re: TSM client on a SUN solaris server

2006-12-07 10:45:23
Subject: Re: TSM client on a SUN solaris server
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT JEFFERSONHOSPITAL DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 10:44:29 -0500
-----Matthew Glanville wrote: -----
>NOOOOOOOOOOO!!
>
>Not another one.  STOP STOP STOP.
>
>After 100's of complaints on how TSM is 'slow' cause by this issue
>i've had just about enough of the incorrect statements that
>auto-negotiate doesn't work, yes, it had problems in 1997, when
>vendors sold devices that were not IEEE 802.3 compliant. This
>problem now is usually someone either on the network switch side
>or host network card is abritraily hard coding without checking
>this setting on both the switch or server.

On average, I contact a system administrator about poor TSM
throughput every couple of months. The problem usually turns out
to be duplex mismatch. The system administrators involved
consistently report that they found network cards set for
autonegotiation, and fixed the problems by hard coding the
cards for 100 megabit per second full duplex. The last such
incident happened less than three months ago. Similar incidents
over the last few years have involved at least half a dozen
different system administrators. I find it very hard to believethat all of
them were lying to me.