ADSM-L

Re: Reply: copypools on disk on AIX?

2006-12-07 09:40:51
Subject: Re: Reply: copypools on disk on AIX?
From: Lawrence Clark <Larry_Clark AT THRUWAY.STATE.NY DOT US>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 09:37:50 -0500
Thanks to everyone for their input on creating copypools on disk ( and
wildcard deletes)

I discovered a few things from a typo. I entered an incorrect directory
name in the device class def and TSM dymanicly created the directory and
file-volumes in that directory. That led to some confusion until I
discovered that. Also, when I corrected the def and the ones dynamcily
created were not available it led to a lot of error messages and
freezing of the TSM server.

As to the question of preformatting. I question if it makes sence on
volumes created on RAID5 disks. RAID5 will spread the allocations across
disk in any event.

Also since initially TSM creates them as it needs them, one at a time,
that is the same as explicitly creating them with the wait option.

Also, TSM has a default size of 2GB. I changed that to 50GB. That 50GB
will be allocated at the point in time of creation and would be as
contiguous as explicitly formatting. Also, it would be deallocated when
deleted as a single 50GB, so I'm not sure in a RAID5 environment if it
would lead to more fragmentation if TSM allocated them rather than my
explicitly allocating them.

I did set the reclaim to 20% rather than 50% to reduce the wasted space
on the disk, but disk to disk transfers are much faster than volume to
volume.

contain information that is confidential, privileged, and/or otherwise exempt
from disclosure under applicable law.  If this electronic message is from an
attorney or someone in the Legal Department, it may also contain confidential
attorney-client communications which may be privileged and protected from
disclosure.  If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have
received this message in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding,
printing, or copying is strictly prohibited.  Please notify the New York State
Thruway Authority immediately by either responding to this e-mail or calling
(518) 436-2700, and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments.