ADSM-L

Re: Re: Using the DBI::TSM module, memory problem

2006-12-05 18:33:59
Subject: Re: Re: Using the DBI::TSM module, memory problem
From: David Bronder <david-bronder AT UIOWA DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 17:33:25 -0600
Hans Christian Riksheim wrote:

> I essentially want to "stream" the output of the sql through a filter
> while it is returned from the TSM-server, not glob it up in memory
> first and then process it later. Have not found out yet with DBI. Some
> database guy suggested use of cursors which make it possible to fetch
> one row at a time and have the database keep track of your progress,
> but I don't know the first thing about cursors and I don't think the
> TSM database is designed for those needs anyway.

I haven't used the DBI::TSM module, nor am I a database guy.  But the
TSM implementation of SQL SELECT does support the use of cursors.  I've
seen various tools use them (there's a STORServer tool that uses them,
and I wouldn't be surprised if TSM Operational Reporting used them).

Not being a database guy, though, I couldn't tell you _how_ to use them,
or if DBI::TSM supports the use of them.

--
Hello World.                                    David Bronder - Systems Admin
Segmentation Fault                                     ITS-SPA, Univ. of Iowa