ADSM-L

Re: copypools on disk on AIX?

2006-12-04 13:56:00
Subject: Re: copypools on disk on AIX?
From: Kelly Lipp <lipp AT STORSERVER DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 11:37:45 -0700
And then after you have all the underlying AIX work done, you should
create the copy storage pool device class using some reasonable size
maxcap value.  I've had reasonable success with 5000M as a starter.
Then instead of using scratch volumes (set maxscratch on the pool to
zero), use define vol stgpool /ld1/of formatsize=5000 numberofvol=256 to
create the volumes.  This will create 256 files named /ld1/of0000,
of0001, etc.  Repeat until you fill up the logical drive.  By creating
the volumes like this you avoid fragmentation on your drives.  If you
need more detail about the commands to set this up, let me know.

The key to successful use of file device class on devices of this sort
is large write back caches.  I assume you will RAID5 the drives in the
DS4800.  Since RAID5 is not particularly good for write, the cache is
very important.  We have had good luck with large disk pools using the
file device class.  Our shelves, though, have 1GB of cache.

Kelly J. Lipp
VP Manufacturing & CTO
STORServer, Inc.
485-B Elkton Drive