ADSM-L

AW: duplicate backup

2006-12-04 03:02:23
Subject: AW: duplicate backup
From: Salak Juraj <J.Salak AT ASAMER DOT AT>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 09:01:32 +0100
I would strongly recommend to opt for second tape drive
before  even thinking about workarounds.

Your custommer should understood that working with single drive only
makes his backup and (TSM) management processes stop in case of single HW
failure.

Even normal TSM management is pain with only one tape.

Each TSM installation should use 2 tape drives at least,
AFAIK this is even documented in TSM oficiall documents.

Maybe not what you wanted to hear,
but I am sure you will not make your custommer happy otherwise.

Praise your customer he is FULLY right when he wants to duplicate his backups
and make him clear there is no free lunch.

best regards

Juraj