ADSM-L

Re: [Fwd: Volume Reclamation warning:]

2006-11-29 14:05:12
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Volume Reclamation warning:]
From: John Monahan <JMonahan AT COMPURES DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 13:01:36 -0600
First, your reclamation threshold should be set to 50 or higher so two
tapes can be reclaimed to one.  You might be running reclamation almost
all the time with it set to 30 and just wasting tape cycles.  You also
need to have scratch tapes available for reclamation to be successful. If
you post the activity log entries at the time the reclamation is failing,
we might be able to tell you why.

I tend to prefer setting the reclamation threshold to 100 and then
scheduling when reclamation occurs by using an administrative schedule. In
the admin schedule either lower the reclamation threshold or use the
"reclaim stgpool" command.

To see the tapes that are triggering that TOR alert, run this query:
select volume_name, stgpool_name, pct_utilized, status, access,
pct_reclaim from volumes where (status='FULL') AND (pct_utilized<48) order
by pct_reclaim desc

______________________________
John Monahan
Consultant Infrastructure Solutions Group
Computech Resources, Inc., a Logicalis Company
Office: 952-833-0930 ext 109
Cell: 952-221-6938
http://www.computechresources.com
http://us.logicalis.com

Timothy Hughes <Timothy.Hughes AT OIT.STATE.NJ DOT US>
11/29/2006 09:54 AM
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
[Fwd: Volume Reclamation warning:]

I have checked the log and seen a few failures on reclamation
also I noticed that the failures are occurring on the the
Primay pool volumes only. This morning reclamation failed
without showing a reason  in the TSM log. It started up again
a couple minutes later.

Sequential Access Storage Pools : H3592POOL

Storage Pool Name     H3592POOL
Storage Pool Type     PRIMARY
Device Class Name     3592CLASS
Estimated Capacity     352210838.0
Space Trigger Util     -
Pct Util     27.8
Pct Migr     36.6
Pct Logical     99.5
High Mig Pct     90
Low Mig Pct     70
Migration Processes     1
Next Storage Pool     -
Maximum Size Threshold     -
Access     READWRITE
Description     Hub 3592 Tape Pool
Overflow Location     -
Cache Migrated Files?     -
Collocate?     NO
Reclamation Threshold     30
Maximum Scratch Volumes Allowed     500
Number of Scratch Volumes Used     183
Delay Period for Volume Reuse     0
Migration in Progress?     NO
Amount Migrated (MB)     0.0
Elapsed Migration Time (seconds)     0
Reclamation in Progress?     YES
Last Update Date/Time     2006-11-29 07:10:13.000000
Last Update by (administrator)
Reclaim Storage Pool     -
Migration Delay     0
Migration Continue     YES