ADSM-L

Re: Backup vs. Archive - Replacing a Windows Server

2006-11-20 15:55:36
Subject: Re: Backup vs. Archive - Replacing a Windows Server
From: Greg Yuzik <gyuzik AT ARCRESOURCES DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 13:54:42 -0700
I was faced with the same problem about 2 years ago, however I was only
given a 4 hour outage to complete the migration to a new server.
I ended up buying PeerSync (which worked very well for us.

I ran the sync during the night to get all the data over to the new
server (took 3 days)
Then on the outage, I disabled all the shares to make sure no data
changed and all the open files could be copied. Than one last sync was
performed.

We found this approach worked well as we still had the old production
box in an operational state in case something went wrong, and allowed
testing of links (excel, etc).

I'm sure there are many other products like Peersync available, that
just happen to be the one we chose.

The Virtualnodename is another solution I looked at, however our problem
was 4 hours was not enough time for me to take the server out of
production, backup the data, restore the data to the new server, test
and get it back in production.

: : Greg Yuzik : :