ADSM-L

Question about policy domains and storage pools.

2006-11-20 09:30:29
Subject: Question about policy domains and storage pools.
From: Farren Minns <fminns AT WILEY.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 14:28:59 +0000
Hi All

Running TSM 5.2.7.2 on Solaris 9 with a collocated tapepool.

At present we only have one backup disk pool, one on-site tapepool and one
off-site copypool).

I have the following situation. I have just acquired some new servers that
require backing up and all of them are pretty small and will not have very
much data changing per day. As such, I do not want them to have 1 tape each
per collocation as they are 3592's and will mean a lot of wasted space. So,
what I want to do is put this collection of servers in their own policy
domain and on their own set of tapes with collocation turned off (they can
go on the same copypool as this is not collocated at present).

Now, is the only way I can do this to create a new backup diskpool
(backuppool2 for example) and have it migrate to a new on-site tapepool
(tapepool2) and have that non collocated? And can I still have the new
tapepool pointing to the original copypool?

I'm guessing there's no way round this but would value any opinions.

Thanks

Farren Minns
John Wiley & Sons Ltd

The information contained in this e-mail and any subsequent
correspondence is private and confidential and intended solely
for the named recipient(s).  If you are not a named recipient,
you must not copy, distribute, or disseminate the information,
open any attachment, or take any action in reliance on it.  If you
have received the e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete
the e-mail.

Any views or opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the
individual sender, unless otherwise stated.  Although this e-mail has
been scanned for viruses you should rely on your own virus check, as
the sender accepts no liability for any damage arising out of any bug
or virus infection.