ADSM-L

Re: Using TSM to backup a DB2 database

2006-11-16 08:40:11
Subject: Re: Using TSM to backup a DB2 database
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 08:39:04 -0500
>> On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 10:56:47 +0000, Farren Minns <fminns AT WILEY.CO DOT UK>
>> said:

> I am just beginning to read the extensive "Backing Up DB2 with IBM
> Tivoli Storage Management" redbook and want to ask a very basic
> question at the start. Am I now right in thinking that I install
> both the BA Client for the standard backup (presumably excluding the
> DB2 datafiles), and the API for the DB2 backups?

Depending on the operating system, if you've installed the BA client,
you'll get the API also.

> If this is the case, is this one licensed client or two? And do they
> both use separate configuration files (dsm.opt etc).

You'll want a different dsm.opt for each DB2 instance, IMO.   We set
up a different stanza in dsm.sys for each instance, and identify the
TSM server stanza for 'this' instancd with the per-instance dsm.opt.

So, in

~ne6tst1 (test instance 1)

I've got environment variables such:

DSMI_DIR=/usr/tivoli/tsm/client/api/bin
DSMI_CONFIG=/export/db2home/ne6tst1/tsm/tsm.opt
DSMI_LOG=/export/db2home/ne6tst1/tsm/

The tsm.opt looks like:

---

server dbback_ne6tst1

---

which is in turn a reference to a dsm.sys stanza like this:

---

servername dbback_ne6tst1
   COMMmethod         TCPip
   TCPPort            1610