ADSM-L

Checking in new tapes on new TSM tape library

2006-11-07 21:40:18
Subject: Checking in new tapes on new TSM tape library
From: Paul Dudley <pdudley AT ANL.COM DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 13:39:34 +1100
I am trying to check in a new LTO3 tape in our new IBM 3582 TSM tape
library that was installed a month ago.

However it keeps failing. I would like to know if I am doing it
correctly before logging a fault call with IBM.

I am placing the new tape with the barcode label on it, in the IO slot
on the right side of the unit.

The command I execute is:

tsm: ANLTSM>label libvol lb1.1.0.3 818ACFL2 checkin=scratch

ANS8003I Process number 593 started.

tsm: ANLTSM>q pr

 Process   Process Description    Status

  Number

--------   --------------------

     593   LABEL LIBVOLUME        ANR8804I Labelling volume 818ACFL2 in
library

                                   LB1.1.0.3.

tsm: ANLTSM>q req

ANR8352I Requests outstanding:

ANR8306I 153: Insert LTO volume 818ACFL2 R/W into the slot with element
number 4112

of library LB1.1.0.3 within 60 minutes; issue 'REPLY' along with the
request ID when

ready.

The error that appears in the log when it fails is:

11/08/2006 13:28:10      ANR8300E I/O error on library LB1.1.0.3
(OP=8401C058,

                          CC=314, KEY=FF, ASC=FF, ASCQ=FF,
SENSE=**NONE**,

                          Description=The source slot or drive was empty
in an

                          attempt to move a volume).  Refer to Appendix
D in the

                          'Messages' manual for recommended action.
(SESSION: 7292,

                          PROCESS: 593)

11/08/2006 13:28:10      ANR8942E Could not move volume 818ACFL2 from
slot-element

                          4112 to slot-element 257. (SESSION: 7292,
PROCESS: 593)

11/08/2006 13:28:10      ANR8802E LABEL LIBVOLUME process 593 for
library LB1.1.0.3

                          failed. (SESSION: 7292, PROCESS: 593)

Regards

Paul

Paul Dudley

ANL IT Operations Dept.

ANL Container Line

pdudley AT anl.com DOT au

ANL - CELEBRATING 50 YEARS

ANL DISCLAIMER
This e-mail and any file attached is confidential, and intended solely to the
named addressees. Any unauthorised dissemination or use is strictly prohibited.
If you received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by
return e-mail from your system. Please do not copy, use or make reference to it
for any purpose, or disclose its contents to any person.