ADSM-L

Re: Using FILE instead of DISK devclass to avoid disk under-utilization

2006-10-26 08:07:23
Subject: Re: Using FILE instead of DISK devclass to avoid disk under-utilization
From: Daniel Clark <dclark AT POBOX DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 07:51:48 -0400
On 10/26/06, Roger Deschner <rogerd AT uic DOT edu> wrote:
You probably want to avoid RAID5 for disk storage pools, whether
sequential or random. That can really slow client backups, because RAID5
is quite slow for writing. RAID5 is really only good for read-mostly
applications, so at least you'll migrate quickly. You probably want
RAID10 instead, a striped set of mirrored pairs. (Make sure your RAID10
implementation is NOT a mirrored pair of striped sets, which is quite
unsafe!) RAID10 is a less efficient use of raw disk space, but both
faster and safer than RAID5.

Yes, in a world of infinite funding, we would all use RAID1 or RAID10 :-)

Sadly I do not work in such an environment, so the choice was RAID1
and not enough disk pool to possibly hold a night's backups, or RAID5
with (barely) enough space... I choose the later option, and this
thread is about me trying to keep the (barely) bit intact.

--
Daniel Joseph Barnhart Clark
http://www.pobox.com/users/dclark