ADSM-L

Re: Restores failing

2006-10-24 15:46:20
Subject: Re: Restores failing
From: Skylar Thompson <skylar2 AT U.WASHINGTON DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 12:44:08 -0700
Richard Sims wrote:
> On Oct 24, 2006, at 12:41 PM, Skylar Thompson wrote:
>
>> I've been having restores failing for clients with this error
>> message in
>> the server log:
>>
>> Removable volume 5009L is required for a restore request from session
>> 1444. (SESSION: 1444)
>
> Please don't strip off message numbers when citing errors.  This one
> would be ANR1254I.
>
> Your Query Volume did not include Format=Detailed, so you're not
> seeing the Access Mode, which typically explains why a volume could
> not be used.  (A Request will be outstanding until it times out,
> typically after an hour.)

It's still flagged as read-write:

===

                   Volume Name: 5009L
             Storage Pool Name: ONSITE-LTO
             Device Class Name: LTOC
            Estimated Capacity: 860,019.5
       Scaled Capacity Applied:
                      Pct Util: 100.0
                 Volume Status: Full
                        Access: Read/Write
        Pct. Reclaimable Space: 0.0
               Scratch Volume?: Yes
               In Error State?: No
      Number of Writable Sides: 1
       Number of Times Mounted: 7
             Write Pass Number: 1
     Approx. Date Last Written: 10/21/06   20:29:34
        Approx. Date Last Read: 10/24/06   12:35:51
           Date Became Pending:
        Number of Write Errors: 0
         Number of Read Errors: 0
               Volume Location:
Volume is MVS Lanfree Capable : No
Last Update by (administrator):
         Last Update Date/Time: 10/20/06   17:20:48
          Begin Reclaim Period:
            End Reclaim Period:
  Drive Encryption Key Manager:

===

I checked the system logs, and there's nothing that would suggest a bad
tape or drive. Our  tape library hasn't reported any errors either.

> Do a daily 'Query Volume ACCess=UNAVailable' to identify volume
> victims of drive or I/O errors, so that they may be treated
> appropriately, as this is one cause of data not making it to copy
> storage pools and causing later mystery recoverability problems.

I don't get any matches back from that query.

-- K324, (206)-685-7354
-- University of Washington Medical Center