ADSM-L

Restores failing

2006-10-24 12:46:09
Subject: Restores failing
From: Skylar Thompson <skylar2 AT U.WASHINGTON DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 09:41:49 -0700
I've been having restores failing for clients with this error message in
the server log:

Removable volume 5009L is required for a restore request from session
1444. (SESSION: 1444)

Looking at the storage pool volumes, this is an on-site tape still
registered with a storage pool, and in the library:

===

tsm: SHANTI>q vol 5009L

Volume Name                  Storage         Device
Estimated       Pct      Volume
                             Pool Name       Class Name
Capacity      Util      Status
------------------------     -----------     ----------
---------     -----     --------
5009L                        ONSITE-LTO      LTOC
860,019.5     100.0       Full

tsm: SHANTI>q libv empire 5009L

Library Name     Volume Name     Status         Owner          Last
Use      Home        Device

Element     Type
------------     -----------     ----------     ----------
---------     -------     ------
EMPIRE           5009L           Private
Data          4,099

===

The volume history shows it as new, though:

===

       Date/Time: 10/20/06   17:20:48
     Volume Type: STGNEW
   Backup Series:
Backup Operation:
      Volume Seq:
    Device Class: LTOC
     Volume Name: 5009L
 Volume Location:
         Command:

===

I then began an "audit volume" process to see if I could reconstruct the
data and at least temporarily force it to the copy pool, which is
generated every night. Retrying the restore still has trying to mount
5009L as a removable volume. In the short-term, is there a way to get
Tivoli to fail-over to the copy pool, and in the long-term is there a
way to keep Tivoli from losing volume history? I'm using the disaster
recovery manager as setup from the Admin Center in the ISC, but I don't
think that's affecting this.

-- K324, (206)-685-7354
-- University of Washington Medical Center