ADSM-L

Re: Tivoli storage manager migration/backup

2006-10-19 11:35:20
Subject: Re: Tivoli storage manager migration/backup
From: Kelly Lipp <lipp AT STORSERVER DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 09:27:24 -0600
Yes there is a way to do write to two tapes simultaneously: one primary
and one copy.  Use the copystg parameter on the primary pool to set
this.  This action behaves with respect to the collocation parameter on
each pool.  So if the primary pool is collocated and the copy is not,
the correct thing will happen.

Also, remember we don't mirror tapes anyway and that term is not
appropriate.  What we do is make sure that there are two copies of the
data: one copy in the primary pool and one in the copy pool.  These
copies are created either by writing to the to pools at the time of the
client backup (which is not always practical) or by using the backup
stgpool command.

In general, plan on writing to two tapes at the same time if the data
from the client is large.  If it is not, consider sending data to a disk
based pool first, backing that up to the copy pool and then migrating to
the tape pool.

Kelly J. Lipp
VP Manufacturing & CTO
STORServer, Inc.