ADSM-L

Re: MUMPS style database backup

2006-10-03 20:43:21
Subject: Re: MUMPS style database backup
From: John Monahan <JMonahan AT COMPURES DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 19:40:04 -0500
Orville Lantto wrote:
> Does anyone have experience with backing up MUMPS style databases?  In
> particular, I am interested in optimizing backups on InterSystems Cache.
>
> Orville L. Lantto
> Glasshouse Technologies, Inc

I have a few customers who backup Cache DBs.  In a couple of instances,
the actual application vendor provides a script which freezes and thaws
the DB so you can back it up online in a consistent state.  Some use TSM
and just back it up frozen, others use a SAN snapshot so the DB isn't
frozen as long and then later backup the snap with TSM.  Since I have seen
some application vendors provide this ability, I would assume it would be
available for all to exploit, it's just a matter of them providing it to
you.  Epic is one vendor that uses the freeze/thaw.

I also know of one instance where they shut down Cache on Sunday for the
backup and just backup all the data files, then they just backup journals
throughout the week while Cache is running (there is a preschedulecmd that
rotates journal files right before the backup).