ADSM-L

Re: BMR - unlike hardware

2006-09-28 20:30:21
Subject: Re: BMR - unlike hardware
From: TSM_User <tsm_user AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 17:28:03 -0700
Also note that R2 is not an SP, it is simply an upgrade on top of SP1. So,
while I would still start with a recovery server at R2 if that was what I was
recoverying you can not slipstream R2 into a bootal CD. As such the inplace
upgrade process will need to be run with a Win2K3 SP1 slipstreamed CD.

Leigh Reed <L.Reed AT MDX.AC DOT UK> wrote:  My original post regarding W2K
BMR's was from memory and I recalled for some reason that the system files
weren't copied back immediately after the system_object restore. I thought that
this was because they were locked/owned by the OS. I checked this morning and
realised that this is not the case. However, it may well have been to do with
the way W2K replaces files on reboot and Windows File Protection. See posting

http://www.mail-archive.com/adsm-l AT vm.marist DOT edu/msg67895.html

In the case of W2K3, I think that VSS and System File Protection (SFP) come
into play. I also think that the differences in experiences may be accounted
for by determining what version of W2K3 was being restored (ie W2K3 initial
release or W2K3 SP1/W2K3 R2).

The following article probably gives a better explanation.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vss/base/backing_up_and_restoring_system_state_under_vss.asp

I still think that with either W2K or W2K3, if you make copies of the system
files before restore, you can then copy them back after the system_object or
system_state restore. If you encounter problems on reboot, then use MS Recovery
Console to copy back your original system files. Finally, if all else fails,
attempt an in-place recovery.

Leigh