ADSM-L

Re: BMR - unlike hardware

2006-09-27 21:10:18
Subject: Re: BMR - unlike hardware
From: TSM_User <tsm_user AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 18:08:47 -0700
While the recovery console could be used you can also choose to copy the files
out, perform the restore and then copy the files back before you reboot. You
only need to use the RC if you forget to copy the files back before you reboot.
I've posted the use of the "in-place" upgrade many times to ensure the new
hardware on the new server is properly enumerated.  Still, I always use the
approach of copying out the files and then back in after the restore first.
With windows 2000 I've found this works about 80% of the time, with Windows
2003 almost 95% of the time.  For the time when it doesn't work the "in-place"
upgrade does. For that process you do not have to use the RC at all to copy any
files first.

  Kyle

Leigh Reed <L.Reed AT MDX.AC DOT UK> wrote:
  Geoff

In my mind, the MS Recovery Console is the key to achieving successful
restores back to dissimilar h/w in the Wintel area. After installing
your vanilla MS OS (that is to be restored over), you need to take a
copy of the OS files that are specific to your h/w. Then, if they are
overwritten with different versions by your restore, you can put them
back with the RC upon reboot.

These files can be found in Device Manager--> Computer and then under
the driver details of the Properties of your processor(s).

For Windows2000, they are as follows
c:\winnt\system32\hal.dll
c:\winnt\system32\kernel32.dll
c:\winnt\system32\ntdll.dll
c:\winnt\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe
c:\winnt\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
c:\winnt\system32\win32k.sys
c:\winnt\system32\winsrv.dll

For Windows2003, they are as follows
c:\windows\system32\hal.dll
c:\winnt\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe
c:\winnt\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

If after you complete the restore of your system drive and you reboot
and get a blue screen or worse, all is not lost. The Microsoft Recovery
Console is an extremely useful tool. From the RC, you can copy the above
original files from a floppy or the root of the system drive to the
system32 directory. Also, the RC will enable you to disable devices or
services on boot.

One important point to note, the RC requires the LOCAL administrator
password to be entered before it can be used, therefore ensure that you
know the local passwords to all your machines.

The following IBM Technote is also very useful for Wintel system
restores
http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=663&context=SSGSG7&q1=116481
2&uid=swg21164812&loc=en_US&cs=utf-8&lang=en

Above all else, the key to restoring back to dissimilar h/w is practice.
Where possible, try to trial restore as many of your Wintel systems back
to unlike h/w. I know it is obvious, but it is far easier to solve any
arising issues in a DR trial environment, than at 3am with somebody
looking over your shoulder, asking every 5 minutes when will it be ready
?

Leigh