ADSM-L

Re: migrate 32bit database -> 64bit TSM server?

2006-09-18 11:55:20
Subject: Re: migrate 32bit database -> 64bit TSM server?
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT JEFFERSONHOSPITAL DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 11:54:09 -0400
----- Paul Zarnowski wrote: -----

>We are considering moving our server from AIX to another unix OS
>(probably Linux).  I was hoping that we could just restore a backup
>of our DB to a Linux server and have it point to the same tapes.
>But the initial feedback I've gotten indicates that this is not
>supported. No one has told me that it won't work, just that it's
>not supported.  Given how long it would take to export/import all of
>our (archive) data, this leaves us with some difficult choices.  It
>sure would be nice if TSM had a supported way of doing this more
>efficiently than export/import.

I don't think such a restore would work. AIX uses big-endian byte
ordering, while Linux under Intel uses little-endian ordering. I
remember an earlier posting by someone who tried a cross-platform
database restore involving systems with opposite byte ordering
conventions. The restore failed with a message stating that the first
tape loaded had a volume sequence number of 16,777,216 rather than 1.
This is exactly the error one would expect if the system writing
the database backup used one byte ordering convention for the volume
sequence number and the system reading the backup expected theopposite byte
ordering.