ADSM-L

Re: 3584 library sharing followup

2006-09-18 09:50:31
Subject: Re: 3584 library sharing followup
From: Kathleen M Hallahan <Kathleen_Hallahan AT FREDDIEMAC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 09:48:01 -0400
Thanks to both of you for your information!

_________________________________

Kathleen Hallahan
Freddie Mac

   William Boyer <bjdboyer AT COMCAST DOT NET>
   09/16/2006 01:02 PM
   Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: 3584 library sharing followup

The problem is that after "cloning" the existing database to the 2nd
instance, they BOTH have the same volume information. When you
do the AUDIT LIBR on the library client, the library manager updates the
ownership of all the tapes known by that client. So if you
were to then run an AUDIT LIBR from the 2nd (cloned) instance, ALL the
same volumes would now be "owned" by the 2nd instance. The
library manager doesn't seem to enforce that if an instance already owns
the volume(s) that another instance just can't take
ownership away.

The TYPE=REMOTE entries in the library manager volhist table prevent you
from being able to check in a tape that has data on it as a
scratch volume. But if there's no TYPE=REMOTE entry for that tape, you can
check it in as scratch and another instance can actually
overwrite the data on that tape. So you need to be careful about keeping
track what tapes are still good for each instance.

Another thing I noticed, if client1 owns a tape and client2 calls for it
to be mounted...the library manager will mount the tape and
change the ownership over to client2. Maybe this is WAD, but I don't think
that the library manager should allow the ownership
change of a tape volume just because a client asks. I don't think that the
library manager should even allow a non-owner instance to
mount the tape. Ownership changes should be a manual process to get the
desired effect. Interesting that if on the library manager a
tape is checked in and owned by client1, you cannot issue the UPD LIBV
command to change ownership to client2. You must first check
out the volume and then check it back in so the library manager is listed
as the owner and private. Then you can issue the UPD LIBV
command to make client2 the owner.

So my current DB has both daily and monthly data, separate domains and
storage pools. I'll be "cloning" the database over to another
instance. Then:

On DAILY instance (current):
- update all the monthly volumes to ACC=UNAVAIL
- Lock all the monthly nodes.
- VARY OFF all the monthly disk volumes.

On the MONTHLY instance (cloned):
- Update all daily volumes to ACC=UNAVAIL
- Lock all daily nodes.
- VARY OFF the daily disk volumes.

On the library manager:
- Change ownership of all checked in MONTHLY tapes.
- Delete the TYPE-REMOTE entries for all the MONTHLY tapes.

At this point any monthly tapes not checked in to the library are not
known to the library manaager. So you could actually check
these tapes in as scratch. This is where you need to be careful. Also you
don't want to do an AUDIT LIBR on either of the clients at
this point. As it will change the ownership of all the tapes to that
client. Then you'll have to start all over again.

On the DAILY instance:
- DELETE all the monthly data/filespace/nodes/domains.

On the MONTHLY instance:
- Delete all the daily data/filespace/nodes/domains.

One thing I did notice is that if client1 owns the tape and client2
deletes that tape the library manager will report an error and
not change the status of the tape. So when you delete a DAILY tape from
the MONTHLY instance, ownership and status won't change.

Once all the volumes/data has been deleted from the appropriate instances,
you can issue the AUDIT LIBR to update the library
manager for correct ownership.

This was a lot of trial and error and testing. I haven't split the
production database. That's planned for next month.

Bill