ADSM-L

Groupwise Backup

2006-09-12 14:55:11
Subject: Groupwise Backup
From: Sam Sheppard <SHS AT SDDPC.SANNET DOT GOV>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 11:45:31 PDT
We have installed a new TSM server intended to backup about a dozen
Novell Groupwise post offices, totaling around 600GB. These are being
directed to IBM Ultrium-TD3 LTO tapes in a FC-attached Spectralogic
library.  The TSM server is Version 5.3.3.3 running under Solaris 10
(Sunfire V240, 2 1.5G CPUs, 8GB memory).  The clients machines are
dual-processor 3GHz, 3GB memory running the 5.3.4 version of the Netware
client.  Client/Server connection is over a GigE VLan.  Server options:

COMMmethod TCPIP
TCPWindowsize 128
BUFPOOLSIZE 128000
EXPINTERVAL 0
SELFTUNEBUFPOOLSIZE YES
TXNGROUPMAX 2048

Client Options:

 COMMMETHOD         TCPip
 TCPSERVERADDRESS   172.18.16.6
 TCPBUFFSIZE        32
 TCPWINDOWSIZE      64
 TCPPORT            1500
 TXNB               2097152
 PASSWORDACCESS    GENERATE
 PROCESSORUTILIZATION 100
 MEMORYEFFICIENTBACKUP NO

Initial test backup of a small (9GB) PO showed a throughput of around
20GB/hour.  Subsequent tests have improved to 25-29GB/hour after upping
the TXNG and PROCESSORUTILIZATION parms, but this still seems awfully
slow for what, to us, seems like a pretty beefy system.

The data resides on a NetApp FAS device and we actually backup a
snapshot of the PO to avoid having to take Groupwise down. For reasons I
won't go into, NDMP was removed as an option when putting this
configuration together.

Stats show 60%+ Comm. Wait, so I'm assuming this is a client-side or
network issue, but I'm at a loss as to what to try next.  FTP tests from
the client show excellent throughput (200+GB/hour), so I don't believe
it's a network issue.  We're going to up the client-side TCPW to 128,
but I'm not optomistic.  Can anyone else out there give me their
experiences, performance-wise, with large Groupwise backups and any
hints at how to increase this throughput?  I'm beginning to think it
may be limitations of the Netware OS/client.  We're hoping to get near
40GB/hour to make our window.

Thanks in advance,
Sam Sheppard
San Diego Data Processing Corp.