ADSM-L

Splitting TSM database and library sharing

2006-09-06 09:46:30
Subject: Splitting TSM database and library sharing
From: William Boyer <bjdboyer AT COMCAST DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 09:46:53 -0400
I have a client using library sharing of a 3584 with LTO3 drives. Right now
their one main instance is so large it needs to be
split. The client does daily incremental as well as monthly backups. The daily
backups are domain STANDARD using stgpools 3584POOL
and 3584CPPOOL. The monthly backups use domain LONGTERM and stgpools
LONGTERM_3584 and LONGTERM_VAULT. I would like to create
another instance and initially restore the database to it. Then rename it and
establish server-2-server for the library sharing.
Then from the main instance LOCK all the monthly nodenames and start deleting
them. And from the new monthly instance, lock all the
daily nodes and start deleting them. (DELETE FILESPACE).

How can I change ownership of the volumes?? Right now the main instance "TSM"
owns the volumes with the library manager. I want to
change the ownership of all the LONGTERM* tapes to the TSM2 instance. If I run
an AUDIT LIBR from TSM2, then  ALL volumes that are
currently in the library are changed to TSM2, including the daily tapes. If I
try to do an UPDATE LIBV on the library manager to
change the ownership, I get error ANR8969E. It also appears that all the
volumes belonging to a library client are in the library
manager volume history file as TYPE=REMOTE.

Maybe there's a better (or easier??) way of splitting the database and use
library sharing for the resources...any help will be
appreciated.

TSM Server 5.3.2.1 on AIX.

Bill Boyer
>Select * from USERS where CLUE>0