ADSM-L

Re: TSM Database Reorg

2006-08-31 12:17:03
Subject: Re: TSM Database Reorg
From: Remco Post <r.post AT SARA DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 18:13:55 +0200
Whitlock, Brett wrote:
> Greetings list!
>
> I have a dba who is recommending I do a regularly scheduled database
> reorg (ie weekly).  Anyone doing this?  Can you share the good,  the
> bad, and the ugly about doing this?

Ok, db reorg is absolutely useless. Just don't, it's not worth the effort,
it'll take you off-line for days and there is absolutely no reason to do it.
Now, if you feel you db is getting to slow you might think of:

1- adding more faster disks, 15k RPM 36 GB disks are great for a busy TSM server
2- eliminating all but one 'smart' part, no raid controllers + lvm + tsm, just
the bare disk and TSM mirroring
3- make sure you have you TSM log volumes on separate disks, also faster is
better, but 10kRPM will probably do
4- add more memory; databases, including TSM, love more memory

Now, having said that... on a fairly tuned TSM server our unload/load took
about 24 hours, we started out with 220 GB (48% full) and ended with less that
60% used on 96 GB. Of course the database grew a bit in the month after...
(and yes, I actually had a good excuse for the reorg and will recommend
against it... and do it again in a few months time)

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,

Remco Post

SARA - Reken- en Netwerkdiensten                      http://www.sara.nl
High Performance Computing  Tel. +31 20 592 3000    Fax. +31 20 668 3167
PGP Key fingerprint: 6367 DFE9 5CBC 0737 7D16  B3F6 048A 02BF DC93 94EC

"I really didn't foresee the Internet. But then, neither did the
computer industry. Not that that tells us very much of course - the
computer industry didn't even foresee that the century was going to
end." -- Douglas Adams