ADSM-L

Re: Reuse node name

2006-08-24 15:28:55
Subject: Re: Reuse node name
From: David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 15:24:57 -0400
Correct, you don't want to put new server OS on old nodename.

I typically use RENAME NODE and keep old data for awhile.
I use convention of  NODENAME  *> NODENAME_OLD.

If need to restore some old file, I can  do the switcheroo to
restore, then switch back.

Remember to reassociate new node name with Schedule.

David B. Longo
System Administrator
Health First, Inc.
3300 Fiske Blvd.
Rockledge, FL 32955-4305
PH      321.434.5536
Pager  321.634.8230
Fax:    321.434.5509
david.longo AT health-first DOT org

>>> Keith Arbogast <warbogas AT INDIANA DOT EDU> 08/24/06 3:18 PM >>>
A Windows sys-admin wishes to replace an existing Windows 2000 server
with a newly built Windows 2003 server, but using the old name for
the new server.  We have been backing up the old server for some
time.  He is adamant that he won't need to roll back to the old
server, or restore any files from its backups.

I'm wondering what problems might occur when we start backing up
files from the new client, for instance since the file systems on the
old and new servers will be somewhat different.

Would the best way to avoid problems be to do a RENAME NODE of the
old client?  Then, register the new server with the old name and TSM
won't have any records associated with that name to 'confuse' it.

If there is a simpler way, or if no intervention is required, I would
be glad to know that.

Our TSM servers are at version 5.3.0.2.

Thank you,
Keith Arbogast

This message is for the named person's use only.  It may
contain confidential, proprietary, or legally privileged
information.  No confidentiality or privilege is waived or
lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this message
in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it
from your system, destroy any hard copies of it, and notify
the sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly, use,
disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message
if you are not the intended recipient.  Health First reserves
the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its
networks.  Any views or opinions expressed in this message
are solely those of the individual sender, except (1) where
the message states such views or opinions are on behalf of
a particular entity;  and (2) the sender is authorized by
the entity to give such views or opinions.