ADSM-L

del filesp with +10Mio files

2006-08-21 09:03:35
Subject: del filesp with +10Mio files
From: Peter Duempert <p.duempert AT TU-BS DOT DE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 15:02:35 +0200
Hi TSM'ers
   on the following system I'm faced to delete ca. 15 filespaces holding a
total of ca. 30 Mio files.

HW:     IBM H70, 2GB, SSA + SAN disks
OS:     AIX 5.3 ML 04
TSM:    5.3.3, 60 GB DB on SSA & mirrored on SAN, 2 GB LOG ( SSA + SAN)

Doing individual
        del filesp node file_space_name
will take days/weeks/months(?) (the biggest filespace owns ca. 19 Mio
files).

The filespaces are all on collocated nodes, i.e. I could even do:

        1.      Determine the volumes for nodes' data

        2. Either
                create backupsets of the nodes data to be kept, just
                to keep the current state
           or
                run a selective backup with a different MGMT-class,
                sending the data to a different set of tapes

        3.      run "del vol <volid> discard=yes" for all the volumes
                belonging to the node

        4.      proceed as normal after having finished

Questions:
Q1.     Is the sequence of steps 1. - 4. faster than the individual
                "del filesp node filespace_name"

Q2.     Any idea to do it even faster ?

--
Peter Dümpert                                   Email: p.duempert AT tu-bs DOT